In the reflection of unit 3, the focus skill that has been learned is positioning. As far as I’ve learned, position happened when the author tried to label or put the participant in some name or situation. To understand more about this skill, I’ve been tasked to do the ten element as I’ve mention in reflection on unit 1,on the practice text, ’Please let me go to your school’ and ‘Truth about youth.’ This text was tasked to make sure the understanding of positioning is better than before. For background reading, there are two for this focus skill, they are, Reading 3.3, Wignell (1995) ‘Critical literacy’ a linguistic perspective, and Reading 3.4, Kress (1994) ‘Speech and speakers.’
For the practice text, Please let me go to your school, the author focusing on a six-year-old child, Scarlett, who is eventually had been discriminated by The Hills Grammar School, because she is physically disabled. The author position Scarlett as the victim of the situation, and the school as the participant that refuses to enroll Scarlett into their school. For the practice text, ’Truth about youth’, the author is focusing on the result of the survey, that shows suicide, road death and environment is the three major element which strongly affect teenage life.
For reading 3.3,Critical literacy a linguistic perspective, the overall point that I understood is although a text seems simple, it always have certain deep meaning beyond that text, it shows how the author give the position to the participant in the text, that can give different perspective to the readers. In reading 3.4, Speech and speakers, however, the text explains how the author manipulate the readers,which is, by positions the reader to become the ideal reader. Each text has their own genre, however, I’m quite confuse, what is the relation between genre and positioning at the beginning,but manage to understand about it after the lecturer explanations.

No comments:
Post a Comment